Friday, April 10, 2009

Sweet & Sour Ham Skillet

As I get older, I have learned to try food that previously made me turn up my nose. On an impulse, I decided to get a pineapple, and then didn't know what to do with it. I found this recipe on AllRecipes, and, as usual, adapted it somewhat. This is my version - definitely a keeper. I did use the fresh pineapple, but it originally called for a 20-oz can of unsweetened pineapple tidbits, which you could easily use if pineapple is out of season.

Note: cornstarch-based sauces don't usually freeze well, so you need to plan on eating it all at once (it would be an excellent dish for guests) or getting leftovers from the fridge within 4 days.



Sweet & Sour Ham Skillet

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, julienned
3-4 carrots, julienned
1 c. fresh pineapple, chunked (reserve juices from pineapple when cutting)
1 lb. fully cooked ham steak, chopped (97% lean)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 cups cold water
2 tbsp vinegar
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 tsp. ginger
4 tbsp. soy sauce
hot cooked brown rice

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and saute five minutes, until just starting to soften. Add ham and cook five minutes longer, stirring frequently.

In a bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in water, vinegar, mustard, ginger, and soy sauce. Slowly pour into skillet. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in pineapple and cook 2 minutes longer, until sauce is thickened and bubbly.

Serves 6.

No comments: