Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chicken with Sausage and Capers

I bought my first-ever jar of capers for this dish. I had no idea the little buds were so salty! Be sure you rinse them well, or it will overpower the meal - which, by the way, is quite delicious. I added a bit more tomatoes than originally indicated, mostly because I looooove tomatoes, and I absolutely believe you can never have too many. I also couldn't find hot Italian sausage, so I used sweet sausage and added some cayenne. This reheats well, and although I ate it as is, it would be good with roasted potatoes or rice.

Chicken, Sausage, and Capers

2 tsp olive oil
3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces
1/4 lb hot Italian turkey sausage, cut in 1/2-inch slices
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 bell peppers, any color, seeded and cut into strips
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
2 15-oz cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, optional

In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Saute the chicken until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. In the skillet, cook the sausage, stirring frequently, until cooked through and browned. Pour in vinegar and cook until liquid evaporates. Add bell peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano; cook, stirring, until peppers are tender.

Stir in tomatoes, broth, and capers; bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet and sprinkle in cheese. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens slightly.

Serves 4.
220 Cal, 8g fat, 13g carb, 2g fiber, 24g protein.

No comments: