Thursday, February 24, 2011

Rice, Black Bean, and Corn Salad

This recipe came from an older Weight Watchers book. I admit that I'd never eaten rice cold before, and was somewhat concerned about the taste and texture, but it turned out that I didn't need to worry. I really like this salad, although next time I may look for fresh cilantro instead of the dried stuff (all I could find). I adjusted ingredients slightly to suit my taste. It will definitely go into my "make this again" file.

Rice, Black Bean, and Corn Salad

1 cup cold cooked brown rice
1/2 cup cooked corn kernels
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (or 1 tsp dried)
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, combine rice, corn, bell pepper, beans, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, lime juice, oil, and salt and pepper. Pour over rice mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour before serving.

Serves 4 (scant cup each). Points Plus value: 4

No comments: