Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Cream


I live in southern Tennessee. We do not expect snow. Not ever. A light dusting, a mere half inch is cause for major excitement 'round here.

So when we got blasted with 6-8 inches (depends on where you live), it was occasion for a little culinary craziness - a. k. a., snow cream. I had no idea how to make it last night, but I set out a bowl anyway. With the help of a friend, I dug up the perfect recipe. It tastes a lot like the ice cream my family made when I was a kid. So should we get a lovely snow like this ever again in my lifetime, guess what I'll be doing? :)

Snow Cream

8 cups snow
14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix it all in a big bowl. That's it. You may want to use more snow, depending on the consistency you want. Really, it's not about the perfect ice cream, it's about eating ice cream made from snow!

I burrowed a hole down into the snow to pour the milk. It sorta
globs up and this much snow only made about 3 bowls' worth.

No comments: