Saturday, June 6, 2009

Spicy Chicken Heck-Yeah Soup

I occasionally have one of those days when I'm hungry, and I know I planned menus, but can't remember where I left the list, so I just start throwing stuff in a pan, hoping for the best. Today was one of those days. What came out of the skillet was so delicious that Jeff can't quit ranting about it. I asked him what I should call it, and "Chicken Heck-Yeah" is what he came up with. Goofy as it is, I can't think of a more original name than that, so Chicken Heck-Yeah soup it is.

By the way, this is a Weight Watchers Core (or Filling Foods) recipe.

Spicy Chicken Heck-Yeah Soup


2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tsp salt-free southwest seasoning (i.e., Mrs. Dash)
1 14-oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 14-oz can tomato sauce
1 4-oz can diced green chilies
2/3 cup frozen corn
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
2 cups water
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 cup uncooked instant brown rice

for garnish

lime juice, tortilla chip, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.

In a very large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, brown chicken until juices run clear. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, beans, water, and spices. Bring to a boil. Add rice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve with garnishes as desired.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

sounds really similar to my (actually Aunt Shiela's) Chicken Fajita soup...

except instead of chiles and tomatoes I just use a couple of cans of cilantro lime Ro-Tel. And mine has both creamed corn and regular corn...

So mine is more creamy than tomatoey, but yummy all the same...

I may just try it this way next time...