Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fiesta Skillet Dinner

I am a big fan of one-pot meals, so we eat a lot of casseroles and skillet dinners. This one reminded me somewhat of a chicken recipe that came from my roommate, and I was not at all disappointed in the results. I did a little tweaking to add vegetables. I also added about 2 cups of water to make it saucier and served it over crushed tortilla chips.

Fiesta Skillet Dinner

1 lb. ground turkey or beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 package taco seasoning
1 1/2 c. water
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
1 c. frozen corn
1 1/2 c. uncooked instant rice
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Stir in taco seasoning, water, zucchini, tomatoes, and corn. Bring to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Stir in tomatoes and cheese, just until cheese melts.

Adapted from Allrecipes.com

No comments: