Friday, November 4, 2011

White Bean & Bacon Soup

I am nearing the end of my preceptorship at the hospital; because I'm working second shift, it means I'm staying up weird hours. To keep myself awake in the middle of the night, I've taken to cooking. This is what I made at 4am - and I can hardly wait to dig in when I eat it for supper tonight! It's yet another Pinterest find (from Centsational Girl), and besides being easy, it's also quite economical.

White Bean with Bacon Soup


1 lb dry cannellini beans (soaked as directed)
3 14.5 oz cans chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 tbsp butter
2 bay leaves
¾ cup diced peeled carrots
5-6 strips cooked bacon
¾ cup lowfat milk
salt & pepper to taste

Prepare dried cannellini beans as directed on package (with overnight or quick soak) in a large pot, drain any remaining water. Melt butter in a small skillet. Add onion and brown until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add broth and onions to beans in pot and bring to a low boil. Cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes.

Add carrots, bay leaves, bacon, and salt and pepper and cook for another 25-30 minutes on low heat until beans and carrots are soft. Remove bay leaves, add milk, then with a hand mixer or in a blender, puree half of the soup until it becomes creamy. Add salt to taste. Reheat in pot to desired temperature. Serve warm with breadcrumbs, croutons, and/or diced bacon on top accompanied by breadsticks or sourdough slices.

No comments: