Saturday, January 3, 2009

South American Harvest Stew

Boy, it feels good to be cooking again, even though I'm sick and would rather be feeling sorry for myself in bed! I only made three dishes tonight, since spaghetti is on the menu for later this week and I don't like to make it until I'm ready to serve it. This stew, courtesy of my friend Elle, is chunky, low-fat, low-sodium, and unbelievably tasty. If you can find plain frozen winter squash, go for it - otherwise, cut it half and roast at 400 for 40-60 minutes. I used butternut, but acorn, carnival, sugar pumpkin, or golden nugget would work. Let it cool thoroughly before you try to cube it.

South American Harvest Stew

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, any color, diced
4 heaping cups cubed cooked orange winter squash
3 c. cooked corn kernels
28-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
10-oz red or black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. water
2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt to taste
hot cooked rice

In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm oil. Add onion and pepper; saute until tender. Add all remaining ingredients except rice. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Serve with rice.

Serves 8

No comments: